Character Creation, Game Rules
Starting Spring 2013, the Guild has been using full Pathfinder rules and character options! For resources for Beginner Box play, click here.
Get the Full Pathfinder Character Sheet
Remember that you may only use options from official Paizo books. (Not “3rd Party” books.)
Here are the steps. You may also want to download the Character Creation Guide if you like to have all the basics in one place.
- Choose your six ability scores using either (1) 18-point buy (scores must be between 8 and 16, here’s a handy point-buy calculator) or (2) roll dice using the “Organic Method” (see the Guild Charter for details)
- Choose your RACE. Apply your racial modifiers to your 6 ability scores.
- Choose your CLASS(ES). (All 31 Pathfinder classes are available!) First-level characters only have one class — you can multi-class when you level-up, “stacking” one or more classes over your previous ones. You can choose archetypes (specialized versions within each class) as well. PRESTIGE CLASSES have specific requirements before you can take levels in them.
NOTE FOR HIGH-LEVEL CHARACTERS: Your character MUST have been able to be “built up” level by level! For example, if a Prestige Class requires that you have 5 ranks in Diplomacy, you cannot create a 5th level character with that Prestige Class because that required taking five levels BEFORE you took the Prestige Class. This rule applies to many feats and ALL things that have requirements. When you level up, you do things in this order: (1) choose your class level, (2) increase an ability score +1 at Level 4/8/12/16/20, (3) add new class abilities, and (4) add skills and feats.
- List your racial features and class features on your character sheet.
- Choose your Feats. We will not use Traits. Remember that some feats have prerequisites. See list of Core Rulebook feats. If you want to see EVERYTHING, see the full gigantic list of feats!
- If you receive a favored-class bonus for taking a level in your favored class, decide how to use it. (This is either +1 hit point or +1 skill rank, unless your race/class combo gives you other options — go to your race’s page to see your other options.)
- Check-off your class skills. Spend your skill ranks.
- If you are Level 1, determine starting gold (see the Shoppe page) — if you roll dice for your gold, it must be witnessed by the Grandmaster or a delegate! Use this to BUY EQUIPMENT. (If you are creating (NOT leveling-up!) and you have money in your Guild Account, you start with the money in your Guild Account.)
- Add everything up: hit points, saving throws, Armor Class, etc.
- Check-in at the Pathfinder Lodge! Give a character bio and picture to the Grandmaster to get your character on the website!
Pathfinder Reference Document (Paizo)
This has the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary: these form the Core Rules. It also includes these expansions: Advanced Player’s Guide, Ultimate Magic, Ultimate Combat, Advanced Race Guide, Gamemastery Guide, and Bestiaries 2 and 3.
Pathfinder SRD (3rd party)
This organizes everything, including archetypes, by class and race. Useful if you want to just look at one class’s options at a time.