We might do the tournament a little differently this semester.
We can always go back to the old format — teams of two squaring off in direct combat in an elimination tournament — but I’ve always liked the idea of people creating a team of 4 and trying to defeat an ARENA MASTER, who places monsters they have to overcome.
The first people to post comments below can be the
guinea pigs playtesters who get to try out these rules for the first time:
- I create an Arena that everyone sees ahead of time.
- Players make characters of the same level (let’s use our Level 1 characters for the playtest).
- The Arena Master acts first, and places an evenly-matched encounter (for example, one CR 5 creature, or four CR 1 creatures, for a Level 1 party) on his or her side of the arena.
- The players act second, and place their characters somewhere on their side of the arena.
- Roll initiative!
- The players are in competition with the Arena Master. If there is a disagreement about the rules, the Grandmaster decides what happens.
- If one side takes a creature out of the battle, that side score points. If the arena has Level 1 characters, then defeating a CR 1 creature (or Level 1 character) is 12 points. A CR 2 creature is 18 points; a CR 3 creature is 24 points; a CR 4 creature is 36 points; a CR 5 creature is 48 points.
- When a creature is out of the battle, that side gets to “respawn” a new character or a new monster on their side of the arena on their next turn so that they can return to their previous power level. A spawned creature can act during its first round.
- The first side to score 100 points wins!
I’m thinking that a Tournament can be structured this way:
- Every student can be an Arena Master AND be on a 4-person team.
- Everybody goes up against each other (teams against Arena Masters) until only ONE team is undefeated in the class.
- If there are undefeated Arena Masters remaining, they try to defeat this one team.
- At some point, there might be an Ultimate Showdown of one undefeated Arena Master vs. the one undefeated team!