Welcome back, folks! This semester looks to be the funnest and craziest yet!
Some announcements to make:
First of all, we have a lot of new people — see the new XP Log. Look at all those Level 1’s!!
Partly because we have so many new kids in the Guild this year, we will structure the Guild a specific way:
- Everyone new to the Guild will do Black Fang’s Dungeon from the Pathfinder Beginner Box using the pregenerated characters. This way, everyone can get birds-eye view of the game, learn the basics (hit points, skills, exploration, magic, etc.), and see the most basic classes (fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard) in action and how different characters are stronger work together.
- THEN when each new player finishes Black Fang’s Dungeon, he or she teams up with a veteran Guild member (Journeyman), who helps the Apprentice make his or her first character. The Journeyman also makes his or her own 1st level character and they do a short adventure together!
Now to the Vets — there will be SOME CHANGES TO HOW WE MAKE CHARACTERS:
- To make a NEW character, you MUST do it on paper first. You must prove to me that you know how to do this yourself. If you don’t know how, get someone to help you. This forces you to survey the options for your character, research the books, learn more about the game, and put more thought into PLANNING your character instead of just window shopping through Hero Lab and saying “oh cooool!”.
- Point Buy for ability scores make a return, BUT I’m only allowing 15 Point Buy, AND all your ability scores must be between 8 and 15 before applying racial modifiers.
- Also, if your Race gives you +4 to an ability score, you must instead get a +2 bonus and put +2 in another stat
(That’s right… No more Orc Barbarians with 22 Strength wielding a greataxe with +9 to hit and 1d12+12 damage!)